Romance may not have blossomed easily for your fave Harry Potter characters (seven books until that Hermione snog, come on Ron where’s your game?) but the wizarding world still has a few tricks up its sleeve when it comes to charming the pants off your crush.
Love Potion, or to give it its proper name Amortentia, is in pretty high demand this time of year. It may surprise you, but Valentine’s Day is not an exclusively muggle holiday. Obviously the real potion ingredients are far too powerful to share on such a public platform, so I’ve toned it down with a little help from the Half-Blood Prince (and Pinterest).
While it may not smell like the things that attract you the most, it WILL smell of coconut, raspberries and vodka, which is almost the same thing. It’s also the easiest cocktail recipe in the world – if you manage to get the grenadine to settle at the bottom you get an Exceeds Expectations in your Potions O.W.L, which is good enough for Professor Slughorn.
You’ll be stirring a cauldron full of hot, strong love in no time at all. This is where the magic happens.
You will need
Heart-shaped ice cubes
1 measure vodka
1 measure coconut rum
1 splash grenadine
1 splash raspberry syrup
6 oz raspberry and apple juice
2oz tonic water
Extras: Frozen raspberries, miniature potion bottles, eye of newt and toe of frog
- Fill your glass with ice.
- Pour the vodka, rum, raspberry syrup and raspberry apple juice in and stir.
- Add the splash of grenadine then top with tonic water (this will make it glow magically under a blacklight!)
- Garnish with frozen raspberries.
- Chase it down with a glug of Felix Felicis and hope Cedric hasn’t asked Cho to the ball yet.